If you are looking for a way in which you can lose some weight and to add a little more fruits and veggies into your daily diet then you might want to take a look at a green smoothie diet. However, before you do you should learn a little bit about this kind of diet before trying it.
Basics About the Green Smoothie Diet
When it comes to a green smoothie diet, you should know that it basically involves a combination of different fruits and green veggies that are all combined together in a blender in order to make yourself a nourishing drink. Greens found in a green smoothie diet are usually some of the most nutritious foods and these smoothies provide you a way to increase your intake of these greens in a way that is very simple and usually very good tasting as well.
When you blend greens offers another benefit is that the blending process breaks down the cell walls of plants and this helps to make the nutrition that is contained in the veggies easier to absorb and digest. When following a green smoothie diet you will also find out how easy they are to make because you can make them with a normal household blender that most people already have in their kitchens. This means that you don’t have to go out and buy any special equipment to make them.
With smoothies they can be a lot better than juicing because they will retain all the fiber that’s found in the veggies as well as far less cleanup required. When you have a high intake of fiber it will help to balance your blood sugar and cholesterol levels and this could help to reduce the risk of colon cancer or heart disease.
Recommended Foods to Use
Here is a small list to give you an idea what you might want to include in your green smoothie diet.
• Leafy greens
• Root vegetables
• Sea vegetables
• Bee pollen
• Brewer’s yeast
• Chia seeds
• Raw chocolate
• Flaxseed oil
• Goji berries
• Wheat germ
• Maple syrup
Sample Green Smoothie Diet Plan
Here is a simple sample of a green smoothie diet that you can try as a starter plan for yourself. You don’t have to follow this if you don’t want, it is just to give you an idea of what you might do if you’re not sure how to get started.
Any green smoothie that you feel like having.
Fresh blueberries and a mango
Green smoothie of your choice
¼ cup un-salted almonds
Raw veggie snacks
Salad with avocado
With this particular style of green smoothie diet there are of course pros and cons that come with it, just like any diet.
• One quart of green smoothies each day will provide you with a daily intake of fifteen servings of fruits and veggies.
• Gives you an alternative way to consume greens for people who don’t like eating vegetables and salads.
• There are a wide range of health benefits when dieters drink green smoothies on a regular basis.
• Easy to follow and meal preparation is very quick and easy.
• Higher intake of dietary fiber.
• Requires a huge adjustment in a person’s diet and the elimination of many of their favorite foods.
• Some who go on this type of diet sometimes experience some uncomfortable detox symptoms like fatigue, joint pain, headaches when trying to adjust to the diet.
• My not be a good diet for those who have diabetes or hypoglycemia and Candida.
• There may be a deficiency in some vitamins and minerals like vitamins B12, and D as well as zinc and selenium and you may need to take supplements.
A green smoothie diet does provide you with an enjoyable and simple way for you to be able to increase your intake of fresh fruits and veggies. These foods are a vital element in any kind of diet that is aimed for losing weight and improving health. It’s an easy way to boost your nutritional intake while reducing the intake of fat and calories while avoiding the feeling of being hungry.
It’s also believed that those who go on this diet will most likely be able to lose weight while on a green smoothie diet because of the major reduction in calories. However, it is very important to note that it is essential that the rest of the diet is well balanced in order to avoid any deficiencies of important nutrients that include protein, essential fats and minerals.